Smiles for Every Stage of Life
At Eastern Virginia Orthodontics, we’re dedicated to providing the best orthodontic care for your entire family, ensuring healthy, beautiful smiles that last a lifetime.
A Lifetime of Beautiful Smiles
Orthodontic care in children isn’t just cosmetic! It’s about laying a robust foundation for oral health. With early intervention and comprehensive care, we can guide a child's dental growth, ensuring a radiant smile that lasts a lifetime.
Early Orthodontic Evaluations
Dr. Peluso, Dr. Savage, and the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommend a child's first orthodontic evaluation by age seven. Early assessments can detect potential issues that might become more challenging if left unaddressed.
This proactive approach can mean less invasive treatments, shorter treatment times, and often better outcomes.
Two-Phase Treatment: A Comprehensive Approach
Two-phase treatment is an orthodontic method exclusively designed for children's unique dental needs. It's split into:
- Phase One: Early intervention, which occurs between ages 7 – 10, aims to address jaw growth and alignment issues and ensure there's adequate space for emerging teeth.
- Phase Two: Typically initiated after most permanent teeth have erupted, this phase involves full braces or aligners to finalize the teeth's position.
It's essential to note that while every child should undergo an early evaluation, only around 10% will require the two-phase treatment.
The Pros of Early Treatment
Promotes Healthy Jaw Growth
Early orthodontic interventions can guide jaw growth, paving the way for emerging teeth and potentially averting the need for tooth extractions in the future.
Sets Stage for Permanent Teeth
Early treatments can also ensure there's adequate room for permanent teeth, reducing the chances of overcrowding or misalignments.
An aligned smile during formative years can significantly bolster your child's confidence, fostering a positive self-image.
Perfect Smiles For Important Years
The teen years are also the most common period for orthodontic treatments. With advancements in orthodontics, teens now have multiple options, ensuring that their journey to a perfect smile is efficient, comfortable, and in line with their personal style.
Diverse Treatment Options for Teens
From traditional metal braces that have stood the test of time to contemporary clear aligners that offer a low profile and convenience teens love, Eastern Virginia Orthodontics has options.
Orthodontic Solutions Tailored for Teens
The teenage years are the prime time for orthodontic treatment. As the body grows rapidly, it's an opportune moment to address and correct bite and alignment issues.
Let's dive into the specific bite problems often tackled during these formative years and how Eastern Virginia Orthodontics can help.
The Teen Treatment Process
Your teen’s journey begins with a comprehensive free consultation at Eastern Virginia Orthodontics.
Our experienced team evaluates the nature and severity of the bite issue and recommends the most appropriate treatment option, whether it's traditional braces, clear braces, or Invisalign for teens.
Dr. Peluso or Dr. Savage customizes your teen’s treatment plan, taking into account their lifestyle, preferences, and the complexity of their orthodontic issues. With regular check-ups and adjustments, we’ll guide your teen step by step towards a healthier, more radiant smile.
Common Bite Issues
Various bite problems can manifest during teenage years due to the growth and development of the jaw and face. Here are some of the most prevalent concerns:
- Overbite: This occurs when the upper front teeth overlap excessively over the lower front teeth. Not only can an overbite impact the aesthetics of a smile, but it can also lead to gum irritations and wear on the lower teeth.
- Underbite: The opposite of an overbite, an underbite occurs when the lower front teeth sit in front of the upper teeth. This can result from a misaligned jaw or teeth and may cause uneven wear on teeth.
- Crossbite: This occurs when some of the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth, which can lead to tooth discoloring and misaligned jaw growth.
- Open bite: An open bite refers to when the front teeth, both upper and lower, are outwardly directed (often due to habits like thumb-sucking in earlier years) creating a space between them.
- Crowding: This happens when there isn't enough space for the teeth to properly fit within the jaws. Crowding can make teeth crooked if left untreated.
- Spacing: Gaps between teeth, whether caused by missing teeth or growth patterns, can be a cosmetic concern and potentially lead to gum issues.
Benefits of Teen Treatment
A straighter smile during the teen years significantly boosts self-confidence. This pivotal phase of life is marked by self-discovery and social engagement, and having a radiant smile plays a big role in overall self-esteem.
Improved Oral Health
Teeth that are correctly aligned are much easier to clean, which in turn reduces the risk of cavities and gum disease. It's not just about aesthetics — a proper bite and alignment foster optimal oral health.
Addressing bite issues not only beautifies the smile but also enhances chewing functionality. When teeth meet as they should, it reduces unnecessary wear on them, promoting longevity and health.
Tackling bite problems early on, during the teen years, can ward off more severe dental challenges in the future. This proactive approach can often mean shorter treatment times and can potentially save time and money on treatments later in life.
Promotion of Overall Health
A healthy mouth contributes substantially to overall well-being. Resolving orthodontic issues reduces risks associated with heart disease, diabetes, and other systemic conditions. It's a holistic approach to health that starts with a smile.
Healthy Smiles Have No Age Limit
Gone are the days when orthodontic treatments were seen as just for kids or teens. Today, more adults than ever are turning to orthodontics — not only to enhance their smiles but also to improve oral health.
Whether it's revisiting treatment from younger days or starting anew, it's never too late to achieve the smile of your dreams.
Advantages of Adult Orthodontic Care
Enhanced Professional Image
A confident smile can leave lasting impressions in professional settings, often becoming an asset in your career growth and networking.
With innovations like clear aligners and ceramic braces, adults can now undergo treatment with minimal visual impact, aligning with their professional and personal lifestyles.
Improved Oral Function
Orthodontic care in adults isn't just cosmetic. Properly aligned teeth can improve chewing efficiency and reduce wear on your teeth, leading to better overall oral function.